July 14, 2011
Christmas in July
Each July marks the beginning of my Christmas shopping/crafting. Why do I start so early? There are several reasons:
- I big fat LOVE the Christmas season. I wish we celebrated Christmas year round. No joke.
- I have to buy a lot of presents, and this gets expensive. If I can spread the buying out over a few months, the budget doesn’t suffer so much in December/January.
- I like to spend the entire month of December enjoying the season, not frantically decorating and shopping for gifts.
- Our wedding anniversary is in December. We like to celebrate, which sometimes means a trip away or simply a weekend doing nothing but spending time together ie not frantically decorating or shopping for gifts.
- I’m not a good last-minute holiday crafter. I like to craft because I want to, not because I have to.
- People are sometimes difficult to buy for, and I like to take the time to find just the right gift. Especially if I’m making the gift or spending a lot of money on one gift.
- After May, we’re pretty much done buying gifts for the year other than Christmas. This makes July the perfect time in the yearly budget to start buying Christmas gifts.
- Hobby Lobby begins putting out their Christmas items in July, and I can’t help but be mesmerized by the aisles of ornaments and décor. I always leave really inspired to create for Christmas.
- I really, really, really like thinking about Christmas.
Last year, I didn’t do so well with the whole Christmas in July idea. It was the only time I’ve ever fallen off the bandwagon, and it really set the tone for my Christmas season. I spent a lot of time shopping when I would have rather been with family. Our wedding anniversary was merely a blip on the radar. Our budget suffered from trying to fit everything in last minute. Wrapping presents ended up becoming a very unhappy marathon event. Presents weren’t properly organized and ended up at the wrong places. I didn’t get to all of the Christmas crafts I had envisioned. I didn’t send Christmas cards.
This year is going to be different. I put it out there in blogland, so now I have to follow through. I’m going to do things I’ve never done before to ensure last year doesn’t happen all over again.
Here are a few ideas I have:
- Create a notebook of some sort to keep track of gifts, receipts, craft ideas, etc.
- Keep notebook organized.
- Organize presents as I buy them by family.
- Gather supplies for crafts early.
- List what gifts I’ll be making this year and complete them before December if possible
- Hold myself accountable by blogging about Christmas progress.
I’ve already got a few projects in the works for some Christmas gifts, and I can’t wait to blog about them and everything else as the Christmas season approaches. Only 163 more days until Christmas! Trust me, it will be here before you know it. Will you be ready?