June 7, 2011

Weekend Recap: Sunday, June 5: Painting the Front Porch

Posted in Weekend Recaps tagged , , at 6:55 pm by BetweenWeekdays

We woke up bright and early Sunday morning at 11 a.m. Ha! Normally we’re up by 9. Needless to say, the day’s to-do list shrunk considerably.

What was on the list?

  • Finish painting the front porch
  • Pressure wash the back deck
  • Sand rails on the back deck
  • Pressure wash siding on back of house
  • Buy groceries
  • See “X-Men: First Class” in theaters

Incredibly, we managed to complete most tasks.

We’ve been working on the front porch and back deck for nearly 3 months now. I know, pathetic.

Our house was in really bad shape when we moved in 2009. It was in such bad shape, that we’re just now working on the exterior of our house. We’ve already landscaped the front and finished fencing in the back yard this year. After those two huge projects, it was hard to move on to the other bigger projects: refinishing the front porch and back deck.

One weekend back in March, I pressure washed as much of the back deck as I could reach and we bought stain thinking we would finish soon.

Also in that time period, we landscaped the front of our house, which set into motion the painting of the front porch. Who wants to pressure wash when you’ve just spent a fortune landscaping all around the porch? Not us.

Long story short, we got most of the porch finished and ran out of steam. So, the back deck sat mostly clean and the front porch sat mostly painted for about two and a half months.

Until this weekend!

I took a quick trip to the grocery store, while the husband prepared the front porch for paint. Since we had waited so long between coats of paint, a layer of dirt and pollen had accumulated on the surface.

A quick spray with the pressure washer was a quick fix to remove the pollen and dirt. By the time I was back from the store, the husband was pressure washing the back deck and the porch was dry enough to begin painting.

I was only painting the parts of the porch where we could walk. The spindles and rails had been painted back in March.  This still took a considerable about of time because of all of the cutting in.

Did I mention we had record-breaking-high temperatures Saturday? I painted in 98-degree weather. The humidity was so thick, I swear you could cut it. Totally not exaggerating. We’re used to this kind of heat in August, not the beginning of June. I think I lost 10 pounds. (Maybe a slight exaggeration.)

Cutting in probably took about an hour. I’ll be the first to admit I’m no professional painter, but I think I did a pretty good job. After the cutting in was done, I just had to roll on the last coat of paint over all the boards.

So glad I can mark this project off my list!

By the time I was finished painting, the husband had finished pressure washing the back deck and had moved on the sanding the rails. I love a man with power tools.

While he used the belt sander, I went behind him and hit any rough spots with the orbital sander. I also smoothed down the edges so they’re more rounded and less sharp.

We were about two thirds of the way through, when it started to rain. Guess what you can’t do in the rain? If you said use power tools, you’re right!

We were through sanding for the day. The husband was able to do a bit more pressure washing after the rain stopped. It was one of those bizarre summer showers where it rains like crazy for five to ten minutes and then stops.

Guess what you can’t do to wet wood? Sand it.

The husband finished pressure washing all the debris off the deck and moved all the equipment back to the garage to wait for another weekend.

This was my queue to head to the air conditioning. I didn’t complain. After a shower to remove 98-degrees grime, I began dinner. It was the least I could do for my man who was still out working in the heat.

What was on the menu? Chicken and dumplings and macaroni and cheese. We love carbs. I’ll try to share my mother’s-in-law amazing chicken and dumpling recipe soon.

We didn’t make it to see the new “X-Men” flick, but FX was playing the original trilogy. I can settle for that. For this weekend, anyway.

What did you do this weekend? Was it as hot in your neck of the woods as it was in ours?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: